Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Do's and Don'ts of Business Writing

I finally gotten over with my love and hate relationship with Facebook and made peace with Social Media. Although, I am still against people who does unnecessary shoutout about their lives but its their pages so when I see people who's use to this kind of practice, I immediately remove these notification from my own news feed without offending them of blocking. At least they wouldn't know what hit them.

Moving forward to a more sensible matter to discuss, our office conducted a training for all of us in the office about business writing.  We had 2 batches. The first batch was arranged last 22 February. I was on the first Sunday of March. It was a good way to start the month.

To top it all, I finally made a conclusion that I didn't like the content of the topic. I mean, I was looking forward to it and then, at the end of the session, I was like, that's it? It left me more confused than ever on how you property addressed clients in a situation. 

Lets say for example, the trainer is saying that internal clients are more important than your external clients.  For me, this doesn't apply in all department in the company. In a service provider industry, especially as a Customer Service, you expect other departments to do their jobs whilst you, concentrate on providing Customer Satisfaction at all times with your external clients, because this is your job in the first place. Let the Human Resources Department handle the internal clients. Let the Management solve internal conflicts.

Nevertheless, I learned at least a few basic words not to use in a business correspondence:
  • But 
  • However
  • Unfortunately
  • I hope - is a dangerous word

    In a business letter, below are the Dos:
    • Use Bullet points to highlight the important matter
    • Always go straight to the point
    • Provide solutions

    It was a very basic training of business writing. It was more of a team building as we were requested to know more about our colleagues, and even built free standing houses made of newspaper and scotch tape.

    Venue of the training was in HardRock cafe in Deira. They have a conference room where we also had our Annual Party. The training was from 9:00 - 5:00 so still no distraction from loud music




    They started the music around lunchtime already but we barely hear it from close door and windows.




    The best part of it is, Lunch is free. I ordered this huge servings of burger and fries





    By the way, we had some colleagues all the way from Doha, Qatar as attendees.






    At the beginning, we were told that coffee and tea are complimentary, I was like strike while the iron is hot -  so I ordered one cup of coffee and one cup of latte and still planning for more...

    But then, It was later announced that we had to pay for the drinks as it was not part of the package.  The trainer repeated this several times (nuff already). I guess he was concerned, we will all run away  and he will have to pay for it.  Eventually, towards the end of the session, the company had no choice but to cover the expenses as well (Har! Har!). We finally heard the end of it. 






    Looking forward to more trainings in the future. I will end this entry with a quote: 

    "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin. 

    All the best,

    No comments: