Saturday, August 8, 2009

Avent BPA-free storage bottles

Yey! I got my Avent BPA-free storage bottles.



This box contains four 4-oz. breastmilk storage bottles. This product is made from Polyether Sulphone (PES) – a BPA-Free material with a natural honey-colored tint. The ones I have had white transparent color. I’m not sure though, if that color indicates that it is BPA-free.



This is more convenient for me since it fits my Avent manual breastpump. It is easier for me to express and store. This can also be used directly as feeding bottles by simply replacing the sealing disc with nipple.




I went to SM Megamall (my favorite mall) few days back to check how much this storage bottles cost. It was P1500.00 same price with the multiply seller I bought this from, I just added additional P 50 for delivery for a hassle-free online shopping. For your information, the ones sold in malls are not BPA free bottles unless indicated. “Bisphenol A, a hormone disruptor that can cause reproductive damage and may lead to prostate and breast cancer in adulthood, is used as a building block in polycarbonate plastic, but not in the substitutes, such as polypropylene.”

“Previous study have shown that if your repeatedly scrub, dish wash and boil polycarbonate baby bottles, they release BPA.” This shows that when the same new and and used polycarbonate drinking water were exposed to boiling hot water, BPA, an environmental estrogen, was released 55 times more rapidly than before exposure to hot water.

Make sure that bottles you buy are BPA-free to lessen your contact to these chemicals. We may have been exposed to same substance since childhood but for as long as we can help it, it is better to be safe than sorry.

However, after several research, I am not sure anymore if BPA-free bottles are as safe as we thought it would be. You want to read the whole story?

This is frustrating. We only wanted our child to be safe from this harmful chemicals. Good thing, I only use plastic as storage bottles. On feeding time, I transfer the milk to glass bottle and thaw on hot water as it is the safest way. While I don’t use glass bottles for storage as there are some nutrients from the breastmilk left inside it.

No comments: