Friday, October 22, 2010

Removing the bitterness from the bitter gourd

Eversince I came back to Dubai, one thing I failed to consider is that I am going back to cooking again, a household chore that I am not  good at.  It is really something that I have no talent doing or maybe I just lack interest that I don't put too much effort in learning it.  But I have no choice but to cook our food to eat. Back in the Philippines, I don't cook in our house, my mom usually does the job. She is the one who can make something out of any ingredients and is damn good at it. I wish I had her talent but you can't have everything, can you? 

Anyway, first menu that I did during my first few week were the easiest. The once that I still remember doing 2 years ago.

Ginisang Ampalaya. I have done this a few times before, unfortunately, most of the time, I failed to do the right way to cook it. Its either too salty or too bitter!

This time I did it in another way and check how it will go.

First of, I prepared all the ingredients. I cut 5 tomatoes, 1 big onion, 5 cloves of garlic, bitter gourd, egg and pork.

To remove the bitterness of the bitter gourd, cut it thinly and placed it in a bowl of water with salt and let it stay for a while, do this while you cut the other ingredients.




Plut cooking oil and sautee the onion first.  



Once the onion is on its whitish form, you may now put the garlic. For those of you who do not know the trick yet, I once read that it is better to cook the onion before the garlic to avoid the latter from getting burned.


Next is the pork, leave it until tender.



While waiting for your ingredients to cook, mix the bitter gourd from the salty water



drain



and clean with water to remove the remaining salt from it



After a few minutes, I put the tomatoes last to avoid it from overcooking and getting soggy



once all the ingredients were cooked, I get half of it, put the bitter gourd and placed it back on top to save some of its taste since I do not mixed it until the bitter gourd is cooked.



the egg came in last




and finally



The verdict? It was tasty, the bitter gourd was not bitter. However, I missed to put salt to taste. Hahaha. Nevertheless, it was still OK.

No comments: