Saturday, March 19, 2011

WAGAMAMA: Japanese Food Trip again

Yep, you heard it right. We happen to planned this from previous month, after our Thai cuisine at Lemongrass , we've decided to go Japanese this time. Its just so timely and sad that I have been thinking about Japanese foods since last month and now reading about the sad stories happening to them right now. I hope Japan will be able overcome the tragic event they are facing. I always admire their calm and professional way of handling things at the moment.

I know I just had that post on Japanese food, but this time Far-ouT and yours went out with different set of friends so, that doesn't count.  Anyway, we had our eyes set on Wagamama, located just inside Crowne Plaza Hotel in SZR.




  
No one had an idea on what to expect from this restaurant. The setting was very Japanese of course.

We were curious for the longest time on how "sake" (Japanese wine) taste like as it was highly recommended and now an A-first on our hitlist.



Pour me some



Not a fan though. It has a sweet taste but alcohol was still too strong for me. Singaporean sling was way better than this Japanese Sake. Far-ouT enjoyed it but was very careful not to drink much, as you know, Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in Dubai unless you have applied for a license.

Actually, there were 2 types of sake, gekkeikan sake dry - medium sweet, with a balanced flavor, served warm and gekkeikan sake dry - premium sake, refreshing and smooth, served cold. They have it in 150ml small flask (Dhs 35), good for 1 person and 250ml large flask (Dhs 49) for 2 to share. We ordered the latter and very much disappointed in the end as we were not able to finish 2 flasks and  not even allowed take out the remaining drink. I was hoping to use it for cooking. Just a waste of money.

Let me proceed with our dishes, Allen ordered his miso soup and pickles (Dhs 11), a light dashi soup flavoured with miso paste, wakame, silken tofu, and thinly sliced spring onions. I got to taste it and didn't like it much either.


Aside from the above, his main dish was ebi chili bento (Dhs 55), sweet and spicy ebi chili men on soba noodles served with three deep-fried ebi gyoza and a citrus ponzu dipping sauce.



I was hoping that I would at least enjoy my meal. Not losing hope until I realized that it has curry. I ordered, chiken katsu bento (Dhs. 55). The all time wagamama favorite, chicken katsu curry, with Japanese style rice, and a mild curry sauce served with three chicken gyoza and a chili, garlic and soy dipping sauce. Never, never will I order again something with curry. Even if it says, mild. I like the taste of the chicken though, Far-ouT was kind enough to order me plain rice.




I was already criticizing my food and we joke to dine in a more familiar and safer place the next time. But we were just too determined to taste the dishes of all nations. Haha!

Far-ouT ordered yaki udon (Dhs 34), teppan-fried udon noodles, with curry oil, fresh shittake mushrooms, egg, leeks, prawns, chicken, chikuwa, beansprouts, and green and red peppers, garnished with a spicy, ground, fish powder, mixed sesame seeds, fried shallots, pickled ginger.




I liked his food better than mine. He always order the simplest dish and still get to enjoy it. Guess I am just a sucker for bad taste.

But Cliff was the luckiest of all four of us as his was way better than any of our orders, okazu bento (Dhs 55). An okazu, meaning selection of your favorite side dishes, two chicken, and two yasai gyoza with a chili, garlic and soy dipping sauce, three grilled skewers, one prawns, one chicken and one beef coated in yakitori sauce.



Another dish that we ordered was duck gyoza, it was good but the sauce has an unfamiliar taste that I didn't quite like.



And just when I thought, I will be able to taste california maki again, would you believe? They don't have it? A Japanese restaurant without california maki? How odd.

No smoking in here please




お読みいただき、感謝 (Thank you for reading),

No comments: